Here’s everything you need to know about Geology, including the JAMB subject combination for Geology, Admission requirements, O’level subjects, and NUC-approved universities offering this course.
This means that any candidate, who wishes to study Geology in any Nigeria tertiary institution and is partaking in this year’s JAMB UTME examination, should know the original JAMB subject combination for their selected course.
This article is published here to notify and provide the correct JAMB Subject Combination for Geology for candidates who will be participating in the forthcoming UTME to seek admission into their school of choice.
So if you are aspiring to study Geology in Nigerian Universities, or Polytechnics, then here are the original, official and correct combinations.
JAMB Subject Combination For Geology.
Please be informed that for you to apply for Geology Planning in JAMB, you need the following subjects:
- English Language (compulsory for all courses)
WAEC Subject Combination For Geology.
Unlike the four subjects that you’ll be required to sit for in JAMB, O’level examinations require you to sit for a minimum of Eight subjects (8) and a maximum of nine (9) subjects. However, since your major aim is to study Geology, out of these Nine or Eight subjects, these are the five core subjects for Geology you must pass.
O’level Core Subjects to Study Geology:
- English Language
- and any other subject.
The remaining three (3) or four (4) subjects will be determined by you.
Mind you: This subject combination for waec is applicable for all O’ level exams such as NECO, NABTEB e.t.c
By core subjects, what I mean is that these are the subjects that lean directly to your field (Geology). Failure to pass the above mentioned core subjects can deny a student admission.
Candidates who wish to study this course should be aware, that Geology is a five (5) years undergraduate course programme in Nigerian universities leading to the award of a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree.
Take note that Nigerian universities offer the following programmes in Geology as a department;
- Geological Sciences.
- Geology and Mineral Sciences.
- Marine Geology.
- Geology and Mining.
- Applied Geology.
- Geology and Petroleum Studies.
State Universities Offering Geology.
- ADEKUNLE AJASIN UNIVERSITY, AKUNGBA-AKOKO, ONDO STATE
- AKWA IBOM STATE UNIVERSITY, IKOT-AKPADEN, AKWA IBOM STATE
- CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU UNIVERSITY, ULI, ANAMBRA STATE
- DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY, ABRAKA, DELTA STATE
- EBONYI STATE UNIVERSITY, ABAKALIKI, EBONYI STATE
- EKITI STATE UNIVERSITY, ADO-EKITI, EKITI STATE
- GOMBE STATE UNIVERSITY, TUDUN WADA, GOMBE, GOMBE STATE
- KADUNA STATE UNIVERSITY, KADUNA, KADUNA STATE
- KOGI STATE UNIVERSITY, ANYIGBA, KOGI STATE
- KANO UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, WUDIL, KANO STATE
- IBRAHIM BADAMASI BABANGIDA UNIVERSITY, LAPAI, NIGER STATE
- NIGER DELTA UNIVERSITY, WILBERFORCE ISLAND, BAYELSA STATE
- OLABISI ONABANJO UNIVERSITY, AGO-IWOYE, OGUN STATE
- ONDO STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, OKITIPUPA, ONDO STATE
- RIVERS STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, PORT HARCOURT, RIVERS STATE
- OSUN STATE UNIVERSITY, OSOGBO, OSUN STATE
Federal Universities Offering Geology.
- AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY, ZARIA, KADUNA STATE
- BAYERO UNIVERSITY, KANO, KANO STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF BENIN, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF CALABAR, CALABAR, CROSS RIVER STATE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, GUSAU, ZAMFARA STATE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, BIRNIN-KEBBI, KEBBI STATE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, LAFIA, NASARAWA STATE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, LOKOJA, KOGI STATE
- ALEX EKWUEME FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, NDUFU-ALIKE, EBONYI STATE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, OYE-EKITI, EKITI STATE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF PETROLEUM RESOURCES, EFFURUN, DELTA STATE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OWERRI, IMO STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, IBADAN, OYO STATE
- THE UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN, ILORIN, KWARA STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS, LAGOS STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF MAIDUGURI, BORNO STATE
- MODIBO ADAMA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, YOLA, ADAMAWA STATE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, MINNA, NIGER STATE
- OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY, ILE-IFE, OSUN STATE
- USMANU DANFODIO UNIVERSITY, SOKOTO, SOKOTO STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA, ENUGU STATE
Private Universities Offering Geology.
- ACHIEVERS UNIVERSITY, OWO, ONDO STATE
- AFE BABALOLA UNIVERSITY, ADO-EKITI, EKITI STATE
- AJAYI CROWTHER UNIVERSITY, OYO, OYO STATE
- AL- HIKMAH UNIVERSITY, ILORIN, KWARA STATE
- ANCHOR UNIVERSITY, AYOBO, LAGOS STATE
- ARTHUR JARVIS UNIVERSITY, AKPABUYO, CROSS RIVER STATE
- GREGORY UNIVERSITY, UTURU, ABIA STATE
- SALEM UNIVERSITY, LOKOJA, KOGI STATE
- SKYLINE UNIVERSITY NIGERIA, KANO, KANO STATE
- WESLEY UNIVERSITY, ONDO, ONDO STATE
Geology Course Duration.
Candidates who will be seeking admission to study Geology through UTME, you’ll spend a maximum period of eight (8) years for the completion of the programme, and for the award of a B.Sc (in Geology or Geology/Physics).
While for DE candidates, the required maximum period of stay is six (6) years.
Available Job Opportunities.
Geology graduates are equipped to work in the industry and government establishments such as;
- Geological Surveys.
- Mineral Exploration Companies.
- Geotechnical engineer.
- Engineering geologist.
- Oil Companies.
- Engineering Construction.
- Water Resources.
- Federal and State Ministries of Works.
- Power and Housing.
- Coal Corporation.
- Marine Research Institutes/Oceanography.
- Water and General Environmental Management Establishments.
- Tourism Industries.
- Academic Institutions.
Professional Courses for Geologists in Nigeria.
- Introduction to Log Analysis.
- Engineering Design, Drafting & Modeling.
- Emergency and Disaster Management.
- Introduction to Seismic Interpretation.
- Petrel (Seismic & Well Logging Interpretation).
- Decommissioning and Plugging.
- Intro. to Subsurface Mapping and Volumetrics.
- Piping Design and Drafting (PDMS).
- Fault Seal Analysis.
- Corrosion Management.
- Process Design and Optimization (ASPEN HYSYS).
- Well Drilling and Completion.
- Structural Design using Staadpro, ORION.
- Introduction to 3D Static Modeling.
- Piping and Instrumentation Design/Diagram (P&ID).
Major Specialties in Geology.
- Aerogeology/Remote sensing
- Economic Geology
- Engineering Geology
- Environmental Geology
- Marine Geology
- Mining Geology
- Petroleum Geology
- Physical Geology
- Structural Geology.
Best Universities to study Geology.
- AJAYI CROWTHER UNIVERSITY, OYO (ACU).
- UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN (UI)
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, MINNA (FUT MINNA).
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OWERRI (FUTO).
- CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU UNIVERSITY, ULI (COOU).
- UNIVERSITY OF PORT HARCOURT (UNIPORT).
- AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY, ZARIA, (ABU).
- NNAMDI AZIKIWE UNIVERSITY, AWKA (UNIZIK)
- OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY (OAU).
- UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA (UNN)
Are you aware that the joint admission and matriculation board UTME has released their official syllabus, which is provided to help all participating candidates know areas of concentration in other to obtain high scores?
Want to check and read the Official Syllabus, Here’s it: JAMB Syllabus For All Subjects
Please be informed that the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board – JAMB will be holding the Unified Tertiary matriculation examination early in 2023.
Please don’t hesitate to share this information with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, and Instagram, using the share buttons below.