This article is under the series of all Jamb subject combinations. Here are the official Economics JAMB subject combination and admission requirements, including accredited universities and Polytechnics offering Economics, O’level admission requirement.
If you are having any issue regarding which O’level subjects made up the required 3 subject combinations, here is the answer to your question.
Take note that for you to become a student in any Nigerian tertiary institution and study Economics, here is the correct Subject Combination to choose during your JAMB UTME registration. We have done comprehensive research on this issue, to provide important information and guide to aid candidates (who are yet to apply).
JAMB Subject Combination For Economics
Here are the correct Economics JAMB subject combinations. I’ve noticed that a huge number of Nigerian universities and Polytechnics offer this degree course. So while you are here to get the correct JAMB subject combination, I’ll also be sharing the O level subject combination for Economics.
- English Language (compulsory for all courses)
- Economics and
- Any other Social Science subject.
WAEC Subject Combination For Economics.
When I say WAEC Subject combination for Economics, it covers both NECO and GCE subject combinations too.
In WAEC, NECO or GCE, every applying candidate has been mandated to register at least, a maximum of nine (9) subjects for an Economics degree. However, if you’re resitting for the O-level examination, you can register for fewer than 9 subjects. But I’ll recommend you try sitting for all the subjects if you’re resitting for an Olevel exam, maybe the 2nd result will be better and no need to merge both results when applying for admission.
Take note that you must have at least, five (5) credit passes amongst the nine (9) subjects listed below before you can gain admission into any Nigerian university to study for an Economics degree.
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Any Nigerian Language.
List of Universities offering Economics.
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology.
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross River State.
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Augustine University
- The American University of Nigeria, Yola (AUN)
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- Baze University
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Chrisland University
- Christopher University Mowe
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Covenant University Ota
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Ekiti State University
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko Imo State
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Micheal & Cecilia Ibru University
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Mountain Top University
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna (NDA)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Novena University, Ogume
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Obong University, Obong Ntak
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Pan-Atlantic University, Lagos
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa, Rivers State.
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene Akwa Ibom.
- Salem University, Lokoja.
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Sokoto State University,
- Southwestern University
- Oku Owa, Summit University
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Tai Solarin University of Education Ijebu Ode (TASUED)
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Hezekiah University, Umudi
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Veritas University, Abuja.
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa, Edo State
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Yobe State University, Damaturu.
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU).
Polytechnics in Nigeria that Offer Economics in Nigeria.
Polytechnics don’t call this course Economics as university, rather, Economics is known in Nigerian Polytechnics as Co-operative Economics and Management.
- Federal Polytechnic, Nekede
- Imo State Polytechnic, Umuagwo, Owerri
- Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu
- Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna
- Kano State Polytechnic, Kano
- Our Savior Institute. Of Science and Technology Polytechnic Enugu
Polytechnic Admission Requirements for Economics.
Candidates who wish to study Economics at any officially approved Nigerian Polytechnics, should checkout the Nigerian polytechnics’ admission requirements for economics for the economics ND program.
- You should endeavor to score at least, 120 and above in JAMB.
- An O’level result with at least, five (5) credit pass in the required subjects. (This should not be obtained at more than two sittings)
- A minimum of credit passes in 3 subjects that are related to economics.
- A Minimum of credit passes in English and Mathematics.
Polytechnic Cut off mark for Economics.
the JAMB board has officially announced the cut-off mark for all Nigerian Polytechnics. Here are the official cut-off marks for 2023 according to JAMB directives.
Before any candidate can apply and get admitted to study economics in any Nigerian polytechnics, such candidate must meet these economics Cut off marks to be offered admission to study this course.
The official JAMB cut-off mark for economics is 120. This is the minimum JAMB score needed to study economics in any Nigerian Polytechnics.
Economics is how many years course?
Four (4) Years.
In Nigerian tertiary institutions, studying Economics at the university if you were admitted through JAMB UTME, you will study Economics for four years. However, students who got admitted through Direct Entry (DE), you will study this course for three years.
What subjects are needed for economics in JAMB?
Mathematics, Use of English (which is compulsory), Economics, and any other Social Science subject.
Is maths compulsory in JAMB for economics?
Most Nigerian tertiary institutions made it mandatory that you should score at least, a credit grade in maths at your SSCE examination. However, most institutions have disclosed that Mathematics is not compulsory for you in JAMB.
Jamb Syllabus for Economics.
It is very important to know that the UTME board is making it essential that you have the mandatory tools, to ensure that you score high on your JAMB CBT test. To ensure that you score high, the board provided a syllabus, which is like a curriculum, course (of study), program of study, and course outline to provide you with an area of concentration to read.
See the Jamb syllabus for Economics.
What is Economics?
According to Wikipedia, Economics is the social science which focuses mainly on the study of economic activity, which includes; How people make choices to get what they want, etc.
Economics is also defined as “the study of scarcity and choice”, and this course is truly about individual choice. Economics is also about the studies of what affects the production, distribution and consumption of goods and services in an economy. (e.g, Like the Economy of Nigeria)
Economics is also a discipline which helps us in answering the above questions. Economics has different definitions, as others have disclosed that it’s the study of scarcity, the study of how people use resources or the study of decision-making.
Branches of Economics.
The two main branches of economics are microeconomics and macroeconomics.
There are a number of other branches of economics:
- Behavioral economics
- Business economics
- Constitutional economics
- development economics
- ecological economics
- economic geography
- environmental economics
- energy economics
- financial economics
- industrial economics
- information economics
- international economics
- labor economics
- managerial economics
- mathematical economics or econometrics
- resource economics
- urban economics
- public economics
- descriptive, theoretical and policy economics
- monetary economics
Top Most Important Jobs for Economics Majors
- Market Research Analyst
- Economic Consultant
- Compensation and Benefits Manager
- Credit Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Policy Analyst
- Management Consultant
- Business Reporter
You may sound surprised when I listed Lawyers as job opportunities for majors in Economics. The truth is that several lawyers use critical thinking and analytical skills, which help them in preparing their cases. Many areas of law are in dire need of Economics, and these branches of law includes;
- Corporate law,
- Tax law,
- Antitrust law,
- Personal injury and medical malpractice.
These branches all involve the application of micro and macroeconomic analysis. Hope you’re clarified.